*** The Pac-12 Hotline newsletter is appear anniversary Monday-Wednesday-Friday during the academy sports analysis and twice-a-week in the summer. (Sign up actuality for a chargeless subscription.) This edition, from Jan. 20, has been fabricated accessible in archived form.
The account of Pac-12 players who declared for the NFL Abstract would anatomy the courage of an absorbing lineup.
So would the account of Pac-12 players who anesthetized on the draft.
All things considered, the appointment emerged from the early-entry action with its amount analytic intact.
According to basic abode on NFL.com, the Pac-12 absent 14 draft-eligible non-seniors.
That’s alone bristles added than LSU.
Oregon Accompaniment absent added players to the pros than Oregon, the appointment best and Rose Bowl winner.
Stanford and USC both kept added top talents than they lost.
Three teams didn’t lose anybody.
Only four lost added than one player.
All in all, it could accept been decidedly worse.
— The accepted departures.
The borderline to abjure is today, and the NFL will acknowledge the official account in the abutting 24 hours.
There are generally a few surprises, but here’s what we know:
ArizonaTB J.J. Taylor
Arizona StateTB Eno BenjaminP Michael Turk
ColoradoWR Laviska Shenault
Oregon StateWR Isaiah Hodgins
StanfordTE Colby Parkinson
UCLATE Devin AsiasiCB Darnay Holmes
USCOT Austin Jackson
UtahCB Javelin GuidryCB Jaylon Johnson
WashingtonTB Savon AhmedTE Hunter BryantQB Jacob Eason
Washington State none
— How does the total compare to antecedent years?
We accept that for you, too:
2012: 11 early-entry departures2013: 102014: 262015: 172016: 152017: 122018: 202019: 102020: 14
— Who’s advancing back?
Oregon didn’t lose any of its draft-eligible arresting players, including atonement acknowledgment all-conference cornerbacks Thomas Graham and Deommodore Lenoir.
Stanford could accept absent All-American larboard accouterment Walker Little and backstab all-conference cornerback Paulson Adebo, but both are returning.
Oregon Accompaniment bend rusher Hamilcar Rashed, who led the country in tackles-for-loss, is advancing back.
Colorado receiver K.D. Nixon declared, again antipodal course.
USC absent Jackson, but that’s it: All-conference bouncer Alijah Vera-Tucker and receiver Tyler Vaughns will be back.
Washington’s aegis retained two first-team all-conference players: cornerback Elijah Molden and arresting lineman Levi Onwuzuike.
The bashful abrasion cuts two ways, of course: It reflects the aggregate abridgement of high-round aptitude that bound the Pac-12’s beam in 2019, but it brightens the angle for abutting season.
The affiliation amid abstract decliners and aggregation success the afterward abatement isn’t airtight, but it exists.
This time aftermost year, the big winners were Oregon and Utah — the closing analysis champions. — Jon Wilner
• The ‘Saturday Night Five‘ acknowledgment cavalcade began with Oregon’s Payton Pritchard, who exhausted Washington with a 30-foot dagger and is arena as able-bodied as any Pac-12 point bouncer aback …? (We attempted to ample in that blank.) Also on the SN5 menu: Stanford’s collapse at USC, Washington State’s arch 72 hours, and the allegory banking commitments to football coaches in the states of Washington and Mississippi.
• Our latest Pac-12 basketball recap, appear every Monday morning, focused on Arizona’s home/road calculation, USC’s acceleration — we’re not accurate believers, yet — and the NET ratings, area Oregon trails Arizona and Stanford admitting possessing a abundant stronger resume.
• ICYMI: The Friday newsletter advised the Pac-12’s banking continuing beyond six years of the Academy Football Playoff. (Hint: It’s bigger than the conference’s on-field performance.) Antecedent editions of the newsletter are accessible in archived form.
Support the Hotline: Several Hotline accessories will abide chargeless anniversary ages (as will the newsletter), but for admission to all content, you’ll charge to subscribe. I’ve anchored a amount of $1 per anniversary for a abounding year or aloof 99 cents for the aboriginal month, with the advantage to abolish anytime. Click here. And acknowledgment for your loyalty.
Select men’s basketball amateur included. (All times Pacific.)
Jan. 20: NFL Abstract early-entry deadlineJan. 23: USC at No. 12 Oregon (ESPNU, 8 p.m.)Jan. 25: Senior Bowl (NFL Network, 11:30 a.m.)Jan. 25: No. 22 Arizona at ASU (Pac-12 Networks, 6:30 p.m.)Feb. 5: National Signing Day (regular period)Feb. 23: NFL Combine begins
(Note: The Hotline newsletter includes links to sites that could crave a cable already the cardinal of chargeless angle has been reached.)
• Can’t advice but adulation this: Nick Rolovich didn’t decay time attractive himself with Washington Accompaniment fans, endlessly by a Seattle bar for wings and beer with Cougars faithful. (And yes, he reportedly best up the tab.)
• Can’t advice but cackle at this: Ex-Arizona Accompaniment tailback Eno Benjamin has started his own accouterment line, and it includes “Tucson’s Most Hated” designs.
• Oregon Accompaniment drillmaster Jonathan Smith is accepting a $500,000 pay backpack for the accessible analysis as allotment of his revised contract, per Oregonlive’s Nick Daschel.
• Alijah Vera-Tucker’s acknowledgment is cogent for USC’s abhorrent line, but ambiguity remains, abnormally at larboard tackle.
• UCLA looks attenuate at bound end for abutting season. The position had been advised a strength, until the alteration aperture intervened.
• Arizona is abacus aggregate to the arresting line in the anatomy of New Mexico alum alteration Aaron Blackwell.
• Cal starts bounce brawl March 4. All eyes will be on Bill Musgrave, whose breach will actuate if the Bears claiming for the analysis appellation or acquaintance addition characterless season.
• A attending at Mel Tucker’s recruiting chic in Boulder — all of it. “Some of Tucker’s better wins in recruiting this winter accept appear from within.”
• Washington’s Ariel Ngata, a able linebacker, is in the alteration portal.
• WSU quarterback Anthony Gordon and ASU receiver Brandon Aiyuk accept affluence on the line this anniversary at the Senior Bowl.
• We’ve addressed the appearance affair in the Pac-12 and beyond academy football. Welp, it seems the New Year’s Six bowls have a army problem, too.
• Pac-12 abettor Larry Scott chatted with The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach in New Orleans aftermost anniversary about a array of topics, including 9 a.m. kickoffs. The latest on the aboriginal starts, from Scott: “Yes, FOX is actively interested. We met with them as afresh as aboriginal December in New York about it. I don’t apperceive if there’ll be any that accomplish faculty for this accessible analysis or 2021. But I’d like to see one of our teams try it. Some of our schools — not the majority of them — some of our schools accept bidding an interest.”
• Washington Accompaniment is accepted to appoint Jake Dickert as its arresting coordinator. His abrupt administration at Wyoming offers acumen into what we should apprehend from WSU on that ancillary of the ball.
• Afterwards whiffing on several arresting coordinators, USC reportedly will appoint Todd Orlando, the above Texas playcaller who was accursed in December. All things considered, the Trojans could accept done worse (assuming it gets done).
• It appears abhorrent coordinator Graham Harrell will remain with USC afterwards interviewing with the Eagles.
• UCLA has a new arresting abettor to alter Paul Rhoads, who larboard to become Arizona’s coordinator. The new face: Brian Norwood, from Navy.
• Klay Thompson had his jersey retired by Washigton Accompaniment on Saturday. Also: bouncer Isaac Bonton denticulate a career-high 34 credibility as the Cougars exhausted Oregon Accompaniment to complete a weekend sweep.
• Chandler Lawson replaced the afflicted N’Faly Dante and helped Oregon assemblage to exhausted Washington, with a little advice from Payton Pritchard, of advance
• Arizona played like all things are accessible in dismantling Colorado.
• Reserve bouncer Elijah Weaver fabricated all the big baskets for USC in the beauteous improvement over Stanford.
• Addition absolute lead, addition abutting accident for Washington, which is rapidly falling off the NCAA bubble.
• UCLA hadn’t won at home in six weeks, and again Cal paid a visit.
• News flash: Utah is struggling.
• The Pac-12 has bristles teams slotted for the NCAA Tournament in the latest projections from CBS Sports analytics authority Jerry Palm.
• The 2020 NCAA assemblage is this week, and it’s in California, acreage of the Name, Image, Affinity movement. “At the time Anaheim was called to host the assemblage in 2020,” writes USA Today’s Dan Wolken, “no one could accept envisioned the NCAA would be advancing to Ground Zero for what has become the better existential claiming in the organization’s avant-garde history. Though the NCAA is not accessible to vote this anniversary on any rules proposals that abode whether academy athletes can profit … the affair is assuredly activity to boss the conversation. Admitting actuality in such abutting adjacency to Disneyland, it’s not activity to be the happiest abode on Earth.”
• Speaking of NIL: Arizona is advancing to accompany California in the advance for athletes to accept compensation, according to azcentral’s Jeff Metcalfe. One bill has been alien in the accompaniment legislature, and addition is on the way. The former, from Rep. Anthony Kern, R-Glendale, “would go into aftereffect Sept. 1, 2021 and prohibit any alignment including the NCAA from administration ‘any aphorism that prevents a apprentice amateur from earning advantage as a aftereffect of the apprentice athlete’s name, angel or likeness.”’
• Wiretaps by the FBI afford ablaze on Operation Varsity Blues, at atomic how it abundant at USC. The L.A. Times’ Nathan Fenno takes us through the latest development: “The archetype of the chat amid Singer and the abeyant client, whose name is redacted, was amid about 500 pages of eavesdrop transcripts, emails, argument letters and added abstracts that prosecutors filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Boston.”
A area adherent to agreeable on Pac-12 Olympic sports.
• Stanford, absolute out at Oregon, rallied for a analytical win at Oregon Accompaniment and is currently angry with UCLA and Oregon for aboriginal place.
• Oregon State’s latest loss makes the looming Civil War that abundant added important.
• Arizona rallied from 19 bottomward to exhausted Washington. (The UW teams aloof can’t assume to authority leads.)
• The drive ASU congenital with that historic home ambit of the Oregon schools hasn’t dissolved: Bristles after wins, and counting.
• Sabrina Ionescu angry the Pac-12 career assists record. That would be Gary Payton’s career assists record.
• ESPN bracketology: Oregon’s aback on the top band as the Pac-12 has six teams projected for the NCAA field.
• No superstars, no botheration for Utah’s Red Rocks.
What’s advancing on the Pac-12 Hotline:
• Washington Accompaniment drillmaster Nick Rolovich is different, and not aloof because he downed beer and wings with fans in Seattle.
• Our 2020 Pac-12 football examination alternation gets underway this anniversary with a attending at the toughest schedules, the softest schedules and all the schedules in between.
• The basketball ability ratings are slotted for their accepted Wednesday morning window.
The abutting newsletter is appointed for Wednesday. Enjoy it? Please advanced this email to accompany (sign up here). If you don’t, or accept added feedback, let me know: [email protected]
*** Follow me on Twitter: @WilnerHotline
*** Pac-12 Hotline is not accustomed or sponsored by the Pac-12 Conference, and the angle bidding herein do not necessarily reflect the angle of the Conference.